Over time, we’ve learned to paint a very clear picture of our fans and what’s important to them. It’s a long process, but one that’s definitely worth it as we tailor our product to our customers that makes their lives a little easier.
So, without further ado, here’s the latest batch of updates to our platform. Notably, the existing menu on our homepage has been revamped so that it’s less cluttered and easier to navigate. We’ve moved things around and added a few design improvements to it as well. Take a look!
Improved website main menu.
Fixed: the PDF generator would occasionally get stuck.
Fixed: previewing would not work for issues in draft mode.
Fixed: logs about single issues, subscriptions, and print sales would take a long time to load on the Sales Statistics page.
Fixed: files in My Library with "New" flags are not filtered properly when selecting a specific file type from the drop-down menu.